Adding extra to path

Home \ forums/topic \ Adding extra to path
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    trogladyte
    Participant

I can manually create links to the PDF file I have on my site, but I have a problem when using EFL.

Although I have specified the folders (both parent and child) to the correct folders, this is the strange URL I get from entries in the listing:

http://www.sitename.com/%22http://www.sitename.com/images/content/downloads/SEO 101.pdf

For some reason it is appending an extra base URL onto the front of the string.

Michael Gilkes
    Keymaster

@trogladyte. Thanks for using my module. From your description above, I am not sure what you did to get that result. if I am to assist you, you will need to provide some more information. For example, what parent did you select, what text did you enter in “location within the parent folder”, any changes you made to the source code.

Something weird is going on since I see %22 in the middle of link.

trogladyte
    Participant

Hi Michael

You can see the “errant” module in action at http://www.citruskiwi.com/downloads.

I set the parent at “content” (the sub-folder of images) and the Location as “downloads”. Both of these are correct. Thus far I have made no changes to any of the source code.

Weird is right!!! 🙂

Michael Gilkes
    Keymaster

@trogladyte. Thanks for replying. I appreciate you providing the link to the example of the problem.

From examining the page source, I have to conclude that someone has edited the module code to attempt to specify, target=”_blank”, and in that attempt has caused the error that you are experiencing. So, if you, personally, did not edit it, someone else did. Out of the box, the module does not exhibit this behavior and your generated code proves it. When I looked at the page source, this is what I see:

As you can see from the code above, taken from your website, someone attempted to add a target, and in doing so, changed the way the double quotes are placed, and thus created your problem.

Now, for the record, I actually encourage persons to customize their copy of my code. However, if you do customize it, and you need help, you have to let others know what you have done with the code. It really isn’t fair to suggest that the code, as given, produces an error, when it was edited after installation.

If you wanted the links to open in a new window, you could have found that solution at this topic. The edited code was contributed by forum member and module user, jondiego. using that code will fix your problem.

Hope this helps.

trogladyte
    Participant

A very polite and diplomatic reply Michael. I confess to being the culprit of the “target” fiddling! ;-/

It’s a problem of knowing just enough to be dangerous. Thanks for the link to the topic showing the right way to do it…. It works a treat now!

Michael Gilkes
    Keymaster

@trogladyte. Awesome! I am glad you were able to get everything working well!

Thanks for your compliments! I try my best to be honest and courteous with everyone. I don’t always get it right, but I am glad I didn’t offend you or anyone with my response. I am glad it helped! All the best to you!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Adding extra to path’ is closed to new replies.