How to set MIME types for Photoshop files?

Home \ forums/topic \ How to set MIME types for Photoshop files?

Support Home Page Forums Joomla Software Easy File Uploader Module How to set MIME types for Photoshop files?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    DesignM8
    Participant

I’ve tried adding this to the ‘Permitied file types’ box:

application/x-msexcel;image/photoshop;image/x-photoshop; image/psd;application/photoshop;application/psd; zz-application/zz-winassoc-psd

but .psd files are still not allowed, I get this error message:

ERROR: The uploaded file type , image/vnd.adobe.photoshop, is not permitted.

I’m new at this so please let me know what simple error I’m making!

Michael Gilkes
    Keymaster

@DesignM8. Thanks for posting. All you have to do is to use the mime type provided to you in the error message. So, please add “image/vnd.adobe.photoshop” to your list of permitted mime types.

I deliberately set the error message to list the detected mime type so that the user can see what mime type is being detected.

Hope this helps. If you need any further help, don’t hesitate to post again.

DesignM8
    Participant

Many thanks Michael, simple! Excellent code, wonderful module.

petneb
    Participant

I put in the mime type image/vnd.adobe.photoshop but it still gives me a mime type error, any ideas?

Has media manager allowed filename extensions or mime types got anything to do with the problem?

petneb
    Participant

Funny, went to http://www.webmaster-toolkit.com/mime-types.shtml and found that mime type of psd files are application/octet-stream. After I added this mime type to the allowed mime types, it works. I think I have to investigate the security implications of this mime type.

Michael Gilkes
    Keymaster

@petneb. I think the mime type detected for that file depends on your server. The mime, application/octet-stream, is really a general purpose mime type. What you need to do is to find out what mime type your web server detects for the adobe files that you want to upload.

To help you out, I have a test_script that will allow you to see what mime type is being detected by your web server. Please try it out: test_script

petneb
    Participant

Thanks but I thought your easyfileuploader was detecting the mime type on the server! I don’t seem to be able to find the script you are referring to, maybe I’m blind but I can’t find a link 🙂

petneb
    Participant

Sorry, I found it. it’s just those annoying double underlined info box “links” popping up everywhere that confused me 🙂

petneb
    Participant

Ok, I’ve executed the script in the joomla root folder and it say’s that my psd file is image/vnd.adobe.photoshop in columns file_info and mime_content_type. Columns “exec -b –mime-type [-bi]” and “exec -b –mime-type [-bi]” just show’s a pair of angle brackets ([]). Why is it not working then?

I can upload the psd file through the media manager after adding psd to “Legal Extensions” in media manager options!

Michael Gilkes
    Keymaster

@petneb. The only other thing that comes to mind is the mime type detected by the browser. I test both, as a more secure way of determining the file’s mime.

If you are comfortable with PHP, I can tell you what to edit so that we can confirm the exact issue. Let me know if you are willing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘How to set MIME types for Photoshop files?’ is closed to new replies.